At Speakeasy, we firmly believe that APIs have the power to supercharge innovation, and every project we undertake at Speakeasy stems from this belief.
That's why we're on a mission to make every API easy to create and consume. We aim to empower developers to work more efficiently so that they can focus their time on building new products, not integrations.
In 2011, following years of development, Stripe launched their transactions API product and upturned conventional B2B product building. The Stripe API-first approach transformed how companies build and sell into enterprises. Lengthy sales and systems integrations have been replaced by developers making a simple
curl request from their terminal. As Stripe took the world by storm, companies scrambled to redefine their interfaces and shift to an API-first strategy.
Fast forward to today, and API products are everywhere. Most B2B companies are exposing their core functionality via API, yet they haven't seen their business explode like Stripe's did. Poor developer experience still stands in the way of unlocking the potential of offering your product as APIs. API users are still held back by having to dig through unhelpful API reference pages and write scrolls of boilerplate code before they can even test out an API.
Speakeasy is infrastructure for building delightful API experiences. We focus on building foundational products that enable companies to construct awesome API experiences in a matter of minutes, not months.
- Crafted experiences – We believe great integration experiences come down to the details. We obsess over the little things so that you don't have to. Whether it's the ergonomics of iterating a paginated response or managing a complex OAuth flow, we've got you covered.
- Best-in-class support as a feature – We're your experts on call. Struggling with OpenAPI polymorphic types? No problem! We're ready to dive in with you. Reach out to us and you'll always point in the direction best for your end users.
- Prolific product velocity – We ship every day. We're constantly adding new features and improving our existing ones. Our roadmap (opens in a new tab) is public and we're always looking for feedback.
- Maximize your API spec – You've probably already invested a lot of time in managing and documenting your API types. We believe nurturing your API spec and treating it like a first-class citizen can lead to great outcomes for everyone in your API lifecycle, whether internal or external to your organization. To that end, we've built a toolchain that will assist you in making API changes and iteration easy and foolproof.
- Quality and reliability – You're trusting us with key product surfaces. We take that responsibility seriously. We're committed to providing you with a reliable and high-quality product that you can ship with confidence.
We're building toward a complete suite of tooling to make API development delightful. Our products are set up modularly, so you can take what you want and leave what you don't. Here's the breakdown:
Don’t put the burden of API integration on your users. Provide idiomatic SDKs in 8+ languages, making API integration as easy as writing a single line of code. Speakeasy automatically creates SDKs from your OpenAPI spec that are:
- Type safe – Generated code is fully typed. The most complex APIs are mapped to the most idiomatic types in each language.
- Idiomatic – Generated code adheres to common language conventions. As the ecosystem evolves, you can trust dependencies will always stay up to date.
- Human readable – Generated code that feels handcrafted, complete with comments and READMEs so that it's easy for developers to read and debug.
- Batteries included – Packages include everything that's needed for an enterprise-grade integration. Authentication, error handling, retries, pagination, and more.
Make your API available as infrastructure. Annotate your OpenAPI spec and create providers that enable your users to:
- Unlock multicloud use cases - Companies are increasingly multicloud, and Terraform is the tool of choice to make your infrastructure cloud-agnostic.
- Gain environment consistency - Make your API available to your users in a consistent way across all their environments.
- Set up disaster recovery - Enable customers to store state. In the event of a disaster, they can easily recover the resources managed via your API.
Move beyond curl. Too many APIs out there leave users hanging with a classic three-pane reference. These can look snazzy but rarely reduce the time to the first successful
We believe documentation should be SDK-first, not API-first. That's why our documentation focuses on how the integration in the API consumer's language of choice looks like. Upload your OpenAPI spec to give your users docs that get them from zero to
200 fast, with:
- Usage snippets – Make your documentation rich with compilable code examples to help users get started. No examples? No problem.
- Synced docs – Sync up the docs in your installable library, GitHub repo, and website for a consistent developer experience.
- Sandboxes – Enable users to test your API using SDKs directly from your docs.
As your API grows and evolves, so does your OpenAPI spec. We'll monitor and improve how your API is described because we believe that a well-maintained API spec is the foundation of a great API experience. To ensure all of your API surfaces are richly documented, Speakeasy Suggest will step in wherever there are gaps.
You don't need to install anything to use Speakeasy. Simply:
- Create an account on app.speakeasyapi.dev (opens in a new tab).
- Upload your API spec or work with an API framework.
- Generate and publish great DevEx. Iterate!
For more details, check out our guide to creating SDKs.